Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Citrus Pound Cake

Citrus Pound Cake





One of my most favorite cakes in the world is a Lemon Pound Cake...but this time I was making this one for a special 21st Birthday for my son, Grayson.  At his request when I ask him..."Grayson..what kind of cake do you want this year"??? He always pauses and says "whatever mom..just surprise me"! Then a few minutes later he says, "but you know my favorite is your pound cake"!!! Well that is a hint! hint! ha ha So this year I did surprise him with his Pound Cake but it was a little different this year..instead of just lemon..there was orange too! 

This one was a little bit different...and Loved making this one!  The most important thing I have found in making cakes and baking in general...YOU HAVE TO MEASURE!!! Everything else is a pinch of this and a pinch of that..that makes everything Southern so wonderful..so here goes, I hope you like my version of a Citrus pound Cake!

Add eggs one at a time


Cake Recipe

3 cups Plain flour /sifted
3 cups sugar
2 sticks Butter/ softened 
6 large eggs
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 - 8 oz cream cheese/ softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tsp. orange juice
1 tsp. lemon zest 
1 tsp. orange zest
Batter in my bunt pan

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream butter and cream cheese together, slowly add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each one.  Sift together all dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla and lemon and orange juice, add your zest and stir. Spray your tube or bunt pan VERY good..you don't want it to stick...Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  When your pound cake comes out let set out and cool before you try to flip out on your cake plate. Completely cool before you glaze...I waited like 2 hours.

Citrus Glaze

                                           1/2 cup of sour cream
                                            2 -1/2 cups powdered sugar
                                          2 Tsp. fresh lemon juice
                                          2 Tsp. orange juice
                                           Zest of a lemon and orange

In a bowl combine your sour cream, and juices and mix, slowly add in your powdered sugar until well combined.  You want it to still be a good consistency sour it will pour on and run down but still thick enough to stay! Taste it....if you need more citrus add it!!! I like my where you can definitely taste the citrus! When your cake is ready to glaze...go ahead and just do it!!! Don't be scared just let it mound!  Then when all is done Zest lemon ad orange on top...make it beautiful and add strawberries if you want!!!
Yummy Citrus Pound cake with Strawberries





Keep on baking!
Blessings...Tamara




No comments:

Post a Comment